The Exelon Foundation STEM Academy Scholarship is a supportive and clear pathway from student engagement in the Exelon STEM Academy to entry into the energy workforce, ideally as an Exelon employee. This capstone offering of a post-secondary scholarship opportunity to Exelon Foundation STEM Academy alumnae supports students with a scholarship to a two or four year educational institution.*
The Scholarship is:
- Both financial need based and academic based.
- Available as a two or four year scholarship, renewable for up to four years (for undergraduate work).
- Open to alumnae with a 2.8 GPA.
- Includes an Exelon internship.
- Preference will be given to applicants pursuing the following fields of study: engineering; finance/business; accounting; IT; supply chain management. A change of major may impact continuation of scholarship.
- Preference will be given to students who are attending an institution within the Exelon company service footprint.
Applicants must have previously attended a summer week-long Exelon Foundation STEM Academy in 2018-2023 and be enrolling full time in a two or four year educational institution for the Fall 2024 academic year.
Applicants may be starting their first, second, or third year of higher education.
January 5, 2024
March 15, 2024
Recipients Selected and Notified
Announcement / Recognition / Scholars Summits
The Scholarship Process:
- Application Review
- Finalist Interviews
- Final Selection
- Recipients Notified
- Scholarship Awarded
- Annual Transcript and Verification for Scholarship Renewal
- An Exelon internship
The application includes:
- Basic Demographic Information
- Two recommendations – at least one from a teacher (the second may be from a community organization, after-school program, etc.)
- A copy of your transcript showing your GPA
- Personal Statement A - A personal statement on:
- Why you are pursuing a career in the energy sector;
- What energy challenges you are most excited to solve;
- Why you would like to work at Exelon specifically should the opportunity present itself;
- and How your chosen major aligns with a career at Exelon.
- Personal Statement B - A personal statement about how the Exelon Foundation STEM Academy supported your education and career path
- Personal Statement C - A personal statement about how you hope to give back to your community after you benefit from this opportunity.
- Indication of willingness to participate in open communication – sharing the story of the Exelon Foundation STEM Academy experience from STEM Days, Career Chats, the Academy week, post-high school experience and beyond as well as participating in mentoring programs and the STEM Ambassador program.
* A scholarship recipient may attend a 2-year technical school and receive funds to complete an additional 2 years at a four-year institution. Applicants who have already begun college/post-secondary school may apply.
Exelon Foundation STEM Academy Scholarship FAQ's
We've compiled a list of frequently asked questions by students about our scholarships. If you have another question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll include it here if it would be helpful to others!
The scholarship is designed to allow recipients to complete 2 or 4 years of schooling without debt. The scholarship covers any costs not covered by financial aid grants provided by the recipient’s college/university or state/federal grants.
The scholarship covers tuition, required fees, housing, a meal plan, books and required supplies.
No, the scholarship may be used for a technical school or community college. You may also finish your two years in technical school or community college and still receive two years of support to complete a four-year degree in any of the majors for which the scholarship is given.
The scholarship has a strong engineering focus with the following majors receiving priority: engineering; finance/business; accounting; IT/computer science; supply chain management.
A change of major or school may impact continuation of scholarship.
In 2023, there were six recipients of the scholarship. The number or awardees may vary each year.
The internship will be with an Exelon company/department in the summer. An effort will be made to align it with your college and career goals.
Preference is given to those attending a college or university in the Exelon service area footprint.
The following rules of eligibility apply:
Financial need, academic achievement, GPA of 2.8 or higher, alumnae of the Exelon Foundation STEM Academy, active participation in STEM Academy programming, alignment of education and career goals to a career in energy, completion of an application and possible interviews.
The scholarship is designed to support students in the following academy fields: engineering; finance/business; accounting; IT/computer science; supply chain management. You may certainly apply, but the chance that you will be selected to receive the scholarship is small.
You may apply. Be sure to detail how your intended major will align with a career in the energy industry at Exelon.
You may apply for an internship through Exelon’s HR department each year.
Children/dependents of Exelon executives (EO9s) are not eligible for the scholarship.
Exelon Foundation STEM Academy 2023 Scholarship Winners
Location: Sykesville, MD
College: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Major: Civil Engineering
“I am incredibly grateful to have been chosen as a recipient of the Exelon Foundation STEM Academy Scholarship. Thank you for your generous support and investment in my future as an aspiring Civil Engineer. Your confidence in me and my abilities means the world to me and has truly given me the opportunity to pursue my dreams. This scholarship will undoubtedly have a significant impact on my life, and I hope to one day give back to others in the same way you have given me.”
Location: Ambler, Pennsylvania
College: Lafayette College
“The Exelon STEM Leadership Academy provided me with a sea of female mentors. I was able to see characteristics of my own identity reflected in the attributes of women at each stage of an engineering career. Receiving the Exelon Foundation STEM Academy Scholarship grants me further access to this community as well as an education that will help me grow into my own definition of a socially-conscious engineer. Thank you to the Exelon Foundation for their kindness and for access to this incredible opportunity.”
Location: Philadelphia, PA
College: North Carolina Central University
Major: Computer Science and Programming
“The Exelon STEM Academy Scholarship made my academic dreams come true. The scholarship is life changing. I get to attend my dream school without financial stress. This is better than a trip to Disney World."
Location: Galena, IL
College: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Major: Mechanical Engineering
"I am a proud recipient of the Exelon Foundation's STEM Academy Scholarship, which is not just a financial award, it's a validation of all the recipients' hard work, dedication, and passion for STEM. It's an affirmation that our pursuits of knowledge and innovation are worthwhile, and a reminder that with determination and support from Exelon, we can achieve our dreams and make a meaningful impact in the world. Thank you Exelon and to everyone who made this possible."
Location: Rockville, MD
College: University of Maryland - College Park
Major: Chemical Engineering
“Thank you to the Exelon community for supporting me to pursue my dreams through higher education. Over the past few years, I have gained inspiration from all the incredible people I have met through the Exelon STEM Academy to achieve my personal and professional aspirations of becoming an engineer in the energy field. I am forever grateful to my Exelon family for this life-changing opportunity.”
Location: Bowie, MD
College: University of Maryland - College Park
Major: Information Science
"Thank you to the Exelon STEM Academy scholarship for choosing me because I am able to continue my education at the University of Maryland at no cost. This scholarship is a blessing to my family and me, and I am extremely excited to continue my journey within the Exelon family. I am excited to pursue a world of possibilities in the Cybersecurity world through Information Science. This is a dream come true."