The Exelon Foundation STEM Leadership Academy Scholarship is a supportive and clear pathway from student engagement in the Exelon STEM Academy to entry into the energy workforce, ideally as an Exelon employee. This capstone offering of a post-secondary scholarship opportunity to Exelon STEM Leadership Academy alumnae supports students with a scholarship to a two or four year educational institution.*
The Scholarship is:
- Be both financial need based and academic based.
- Be available as a two or four year scholarship, renewable for up to four years (for undergraduate work).
- Be open to alumnae with a 2.8 GPA.
- Include an annual Exelon internship.
- Preference will be given to applicants pursuing the following fields of study: engineering; finance/business; IT; supply chain management. A change of major may impact continuation of scholarship.
- Preference will be given to students who are attending an institution within the Exelon company service footprint.
Applicants must have previously attended a summer week-long Exelon STEM Leadership Academy in 2018, 2019, 2020, or 2021 and be enrolling full time in a two or four year educational institution for the Fall 2022 academic year.
The 2022 application will open in March 2022
March 15, 2022
Recipients Selected and Notified
Announcement / Recognition / Scholars Summits
The Scholarship Process:
- Application Review
- Finalist Interviews
- Final Selection
- Recipients Notified
- Scholarship Awarded
- Annual Transcript and Verification for Scholarship Renewal
- An Exelon internship
The application includes:
- Basic Demographic Information
- Two recommendations – at least one from a teacher (the second may be from a community organization, after-school program, etc.)
- A copy of your transcript showing your GPA
- A personal statement on:
- Why you are pursuing a career in the energy sector;
- What energy challenges you are most excited to solve;
- and Why you would like to work at Exelon specifically should the opportunity present itself.
- A personal statement about how the Exelon STEM Leadership Academy supported your education and career path
- A personal statement about how you hope to give back to your community after you benefit from this opportunity.
- A personal statement on how your chosen degree will apply to a career at Exelon.
- A photo of the applicant.
* A scholarship recipient may attend a 2-year technical school and receive funds to complete and additional 2 years at a four-year institution. Applicants who have already begun college/post-secondary school may apply.
Exelon STEM Academy Scholarship FAQ's
We've compiled a list of frequently asked questions by students about our scholarships. If you have another question, please email email@example.com. We'll include it here if it would be helpful to others!
The scholarship is designed to allow recipients to complete 2 or 4 years of schooling without debt. The scholarship covers any costs not covered by financial aid grants provided by the recipient’s college/university or state/federal grants.
The scholarship covers tuition, required fees, housing, a meal plan, books and required supplies.
No, the scholarship may be used for a technical school or community college. You may also finish your two years in technical school or community college and still receive two years of support to complete a four-year degree in any of the majors for which the scholarship is given.
The scholarship has a strong engineering focus with the following majors receiving priority: engineering; finance/business; IT/computer science; supply chain management.
A change of major may impact continuation of scholarship.
In 2021, there were seven recipients of the scholarship. The number or awardees may vary each year.
The internship will be with an Exelon company/department in the summer. An effort will be made to align it with your college and career goals.
No. However, preference is given to those attending a college or university in the Exelon service area footprint.
The following rules of eligibility apply:
Financial need, academic achievement, GPA of 2.8 or higher, alumnae of the Exelon STEM Academy, active participation in STEM Academy programming, alignment of education and career goals to a career in energy, completion of an application and possible interviews.
You may certainly apply, but the chance that you will be selected to receive the scholarship is small. The scholarship is designed to support students in the following academy fields: engineering; finance/business; IT/computer science; supply chain management.
You may apply, but be sure to detail how your intended major will align with a career in the energy industry at Exelon.
You may apply for an internship through Exelon’s HR department each year.